Brussels: a hotel evacuated following a fire


Reading time: 1 min

Un hotel-restaurant on rue du Marché aux Poulets in Brussels and its 80 customers were evacuated overnight from Saturday to Sunday due to a fire. A defective fridge located in the basement of the establishment is the cause of the incident.

Firefighters were called shortly before 1 a.m. They initially tried to contain the significant release of smoke using a smoke stopper, a sort of thick curtain, placed between the cellar and the hotel restaurant.

No injuries

As the smoke continued to spread, the firefighters evacuated the premises with the help of the Brussels-Capital Ixelles police, said a spokesperson for the Brussels fire brigade.

Some 80 residents were asked to leave their rooms and had to wait three quarters of an hour in the street. They were able to enter the hotel once the ventilation work was completed. No one was injured and the hotel-restaurant is operational again. Firefighters left the scene around 2:30 a.m.


Leave a Comment